General Questions

Are building permits required?

Yes! You need a building permit for erecting or altering buildings in town. This includes adding a shed, redoing a deck, adding a fence, and more. The permit is valid for 1 year. Applications for building & fence permits can be picked up at City Hall. Once they are completed, they must be reviewed by the Public Works Director for approval. Where work is started without obtaining a permit, the fees specified for such permit must be doubled. For more information, please contact City Hall at 563-547-3101.

Utility Questions

Utility Questions

Utility Questions

Are there deposits to pay to switch utilities into my name?

Yes! There is an $80 (residential) water deposit that will need to be paid prior to services starting in your name. The deposit is refunded after 3 years of good credit.

My water bill seems really high. Why is that?

If your bill covers a period that may have included summer watering, that could explain a rise in your water bill. Otherwise, investigate your home for dripping or leaking faucets; a toilet that is "running" (won't shut off after flushing); or a malfunctioning water softener. All of these things can drastically increase your water consumption.

What is a minimum bill?

A minimum utility bill is usage under 1500 gallons. Regular minimum bill is $51.47, with a small discount for seniors.

What are the codes on my utility bill?

WA - water
SE - sewer (directly tied to your water usage)
CI - capital improvements
RC - recycling
GB - garbage
YW - yard waste
ET - water excise tax

Police Department Questions

Are UTV/Golf Carts allowed in City Limits?

Yes! UTV and golf carts are allowed to be operated on city streets. To get a permit, you will need to have it inspected by a police officer. It must have the following on it: a slow moving vehicle sign, a bicycle safety flag, adequate & functioning brakes, brake lights, rear view mirror, and a muffler/exhaust system. The permit fee is $25 per calendar year. To schedule an inspection or to renew your permit, call the Cresco Police Department at 563-547-2424.

For more information, see Chapter 74 of the Code of Ordinances of the City of Cresco. 

Are animals allowed to run at large in City limits?

It is unlawful for any owner to allow an animal to run at large within the corporate limits of the City.  When an owner/keeper walks a dog, the dog MUST be on a leash and all waste must be picked up and disposed of properly.

My dog/cat is missing.  How do I check if it was picked up by an officer?

You can call the non-emergency police phone number at 563-547-2424 to see if your pet has been picked up and to arrange pick up if it was.